That is a question that I have been asked many, many times. I remember years ago when I started my journey with spirit. I would go to all the different lectures and it would leave me with this thought: How could some of these people be in such perfect balance? The strange thing was, when I asked people what spirituality was for them they gave different answers. I was confused. How did one get an answer to this question?
I tried to be a good and kind person all the time. Of course I also had to try to be a vegetarian because that was seemingly the thing to do, but something was missing and I just simply could not put my finger on it. I struggled with the concept – “What is spirituality?”- for some time and then in desperation I had a chat with my spirit friends and their answer was:
– Just be yourself.
– What is being myself? I said. How can I start being myself, where do I begin?
– Why do you not begin right now? Who are you? I heard the voice say.
– I am Terry, I replied.
– What is your natural intelligence, Terry?
I thought for a while and then I realized that the intelligence I had could be broken down into many different parts that I used when I was working as a medium, when communicating with people and when working with the spirit contacts. A part of me was quite good at being an entrepreneur. Then I also began to realize that I actually had a lot of good things going for me.
– But I make mistakes sometimes. I do not get things right all the time, I said to the voice.
– You are like everybody else then.
– Sometimes I get angry and irritated. I still have some baggage to deal with.
– Hasn’t everybody? the voice replied.
After some time I realized what the voice had said; that I just had to be Terry. My task was to be in touch with my negative side as well as my positive side and tell myself the truth about both of them. I also began to realize that the hardest thing to do in this life is to tell myself the truth about the way I really was and what effect I could have on others, whether it be negative or positive. That was certainly a liberating revelation for me.
– When you dare to tell the truth it will be possible for you to take the risks that will guide you towards your potential. When you accept the truth about yourself that is when the door opens and we can step in, because of that open mind we can then help you make the choice that is right for you.
– But not everybody agrees with me, I said to the voice.
– But do you agree with everybody else, Terry?
-No, I answered, I have my own way of doing things.
– Is that not everybody’s human right to follow a pathway that is unique for them? the voice replied.
– I am beginning to get the picture here, I said.
I realized that everybody has a different view of the world and of people and there is no one format that all human beings can follow. As we follow our road we come into contact with many people walking their own pathway. Sometimes there is agreement and sometimes there is not, but with each meeting we have, therein lays the challenge.
I believe in a higher power. I call it the world of spirit, but I believe you cannot let that light into you until you accept who you really are. With each day that comes I meet a new aspect of my spirituality. It either comes from my light or my darkness and both lies within.